Thursday 16 May 2013

Ethiopian in Egypt

The best little Ethiopian restaurant I ever went to was opposite the smartest restaurant in Jerusalem. I tried both -- at different times. The Ethiopian was sensational and much the best value for money. And it made me into something of an Ethiopian foodie.

So I had been aching to visit Samar el-Nil, an authentic little Ethiopian / Sudanese place in Dokki, but to do justice to the "sharing" philosophy of the cuisine, I needed a companion, in this instance my reluctant husband. Samar el Nil is a little tricky to find. Close to Lebanon Square, it's about halfway down a dimly-lit backstreet. It's worth it though - a vibrant and fun looking little place, it is clearly something of a haven for the Ethiopian diaspora here.

The menu's simple, and actually doesn't look terribly Ethiopian to those who eat it regularly. We ordered a "mixed" plate, and asked for tibs (or tibsy), a spicy beef dish, and the doro wat, a chicken stew. Our meal was presented on a bed of injera, a spongey bread described by some irreverent souls as resembling a dishcloth, along with some mixed vegetables, including lentils and something else I never did identify. (Alas, the picture right doesn't do it justice - the original photo was much too dim, and my efforts at enhancement have left it looking a little greasy. Veg on the left, doro wat on the right, spiced beef at the back.)

I'm quite hard to please but the beef was quite frankly the best I have had in an Ethiopian restaurant. The spices were just perfect, and it had a healthy kick.  Even my husband, who admitted mid-meal that Ethiopian wasn't his cuisine of choice that night, was pretty impressed. I am now of a mind to hunt out more Ethiopian in Cairo.

16 Husseini Street (off Abdel Aziz Gawesh Street) , Dokki, Cairo





 

No comments:

Post a Comment